1. Managing works involving asbestos
KOSHA provides technical guidance and information about works involving asbestos. By doing so, KOSHA aims to prevent possible health hazards among asbestos handling workers, asbestos dismantling & abatement workers and safety managers
- When dismantling or demolishing buildings or facilities of a certain scale, designated asbestos inspection agencies are required to conduct an inspection. The results should be recorded and kept
- Building owners, managers, tenants, project managers, redevelopment & reconstruction associations, etc, are responsible for conducting asbestos inspection
- What is asbestos inspection?
- To inspect whether the building or facility used asbestos-containing materials, the types and amount of asbestos used, the location and floor-area size of asbestos-containing materials, etc
(Buildings and facilities subject to asbestos inspection)
2. Information on chemical hazards
Information on chemical hazards : When manufacturing or importing new chemical substances to be used in Korea, employers are required to identify the hazards of the new chemical substances and prepare protection measures for workers who handle them. These measures aim to prevent the outbreak of new occupational diseases
- Targeting workplaces that handle chemical substances, which can possibly trigger occupational diseases, KOSHA investigates the overall process of the chemicals’ distribution, usage, and exposures to workers. Afterwards, health status data of workers involved in high-risk work processes are collected and analyzed in order to prepare preventive measures against work-related illnesses
3. Control Banding
- Control banding is a system of providing information about the hazards of chemicals. Through the risk assessment of processes that involve hazardous chemical substances, a "band" of hazards are deter mined. By doing so, “control” measures to protect workers’ health and to provide customized improvem ents in work environment are ensured
- Why is control banding necessary?
- Preventing occupational diseases and managing work environment require risk assessment on work processes that are hazardous to workers. However, enough information and knowledge about the chemi cal substances are necessary to make correct assessment about them. Therefore, it is very difficult for small and medium sized enterprises to conduct risk assessment on their own
KOSHA developed on-line version of control banding program. This is to encourage SMEs to voluntarily improve their work environment through risk assessment and implement measures to protect workers health